Sunday, July 6, 2008

First Independence Day

Well, we have been a bit busy over the last few weeks and we need to catch up with everyone on what is going on for me. Since Father's Day, Dad has been back to work, but the last few days have been nice as he has had an extended Fourth of July weekend, being at home since Wednesday and not going back until this Wednesday.





Father's Day week, Mom got a chance to meet up again with all the girls from Mom's prayer group. Mrs. Jenny, Elizabeth, and Sylvia all live here in San Antonio, along with my good friend Wimberley (Elizabeth's daughter). They also started off in their group with Mrs. Sarah, but she now lives in Seattle. Sarah sent me some really cute clothes that I love, and now I finally got to meet her.


Later in the week, we made a trip up to Dallas. Mom goes to Dallas a couple of times a year to buy stuff for Bless Your Heart. We decided to go ahead and let me make the trip this time, which was a bit easier with Dad being able to come along. When we got to Dallas on Friday, we dropped off Mom to shop and then Dad and I headed up to visit with Mari, one of Dad's classmates in high school. Mari had a baby girl just 4 weeks after I was born, so I wanted to go and meet my friend Mackenzie and have some girl time. I think Dad enjoyed seeing everyone up there, and we also got to see Mackenzie's older brother, Ryan. He is very well behaved (at least he was in front of me) and has a lot of energy and likes to show off for the camera. I spent Friday night with Grammy while Mom & Dad and Aunt Rachel went out to eat. Then, on Saturday, I actually got to walk around Market with everyone. Actually, I just sat in the car seat and slept for most of the day while Dad did some reading for work. That afternoon, we went to see another of Dad's friends, Marissa and her husband James. They too have a baby (Andrew) who is older than me, at 5 months.











We spent a little bit of time on Sunday morning doing more shopping; this time, I definitely slept through the shopping experience (like Dad probably wanted to do). Then, we headed home, with yet another detour. This time, it was I who was victorious for having stopped. We made a stop at Aunt Emily's house in Austin. She had gone back to the Janie & Jack store in Austin for the fall clothing clearance. Dad had given her a strict budget on what she could spend, and she gave Dad quite a thorough accounting for her purchases, but she sure did good. We saw a fashion show with the clothes on her beaver friend, and if they look that good on the beaver, can you even imagine how cute they will look on me.














On June 23, it was time for me to go back to the doctor. Boo. And this was a dramatic visit as it was time for the first set of shots. Dad wasn't there, but I made it through ok. However, the visit was not all bad, and I got weighed and measured again, coming in at 23 3/4 inches and 13 pounds & 2 ounces. That puts me in the 90th percentile. Dad tells me that I need to stay at the 90th percentile grade when I start school, so I can get a 4.0. Mom says that will be good so that it will help me get into Texas A&M for college.

We had a pretty uneventful rest of the week. The following Saturday, June 28, we went in to get professional pictures done with Robert Townsend, who also works out at Bracken Village. He ended up producing the wedding pictures for Mom & Dad, and did a good job with me. I was really good for my first photo shoot, lasting about an hour before all of the flashing and changing of clothes got me too upset.

Here is a link to those photos if you want to see how cute I was (just click on 'Brockman Family'):

http://www.myprophotosonline.com/mpp/?studio=351

The next day was a big day in my life. We had our baby blessing at church. I was especially excited as I got to share the big day with my friend Hannah. Hannah's mom and my mom were both pregnant at the same time, even being a part of the same bible study (Beth Moore's 'Believing God') around the time that both of them found out they were pregnant. This day was great because both sets of grandparents were there, Uncle Andy, Aunt Rachel, and all of Mom's prayer group friends came over with their husbands, and we just had a great time. My favorite bible verse thus far (which also hangs in my room) was read: "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing" (Zephaniah 3:17). I also got to share the day with Grandpa Bo as he was introduced as an elder for the Oak Hills Church.














Last week, I had a couple of days at home with Mom, although on Tuesday, I got to go with Mom and have lunch with Dad and the KCI team (Hilary & Erin) at Pei Wei. Dad spent the day at home with us on Wednesday and Thursday. On Wednesday, I spent part of the morning with Grammy as Mom & Dad headed out to see our picture proofs. They said it was especially hard to decide which version of cuteness to get of me. On Thursday, I spent all day at Grammy's house getting ready for the big Fourth of July parade; well, I just slept most of the day asleep and everyone else worked. Friday was my first Fourth of July. Bless Your Heart had a float, with a glorious arch atop of it, which looks even cuter with me up there. The parade started at 9:30, and Mom had to be there before 7:30, so Dad took me around 8:45. I got to hang out in the hot sun for a couple of hours (what fun!) before heading back home (I think Dad used me as an excuse to get home). That afternoon, we had both sets of grandparents over, Uncle Roy, and Gabe & Adelle (Grandpa Bo & Grandma Patty's friends from California) with their two boys. They actually kept their hands off me enough to let me have time to get a nap in. That evening, we didn't do fireworks, but I think next year I'll get to check them out. Saturday, we spent the morning around the house; I got to go spend some time in the Kids Club at Spectrum while Mom & Dad ran (this time, they treated me a bit more nicely than the first time, as I actually could sleep). That afternoon, I went over to Wimberley's house for Elizabeth's birthday (BBQ dinner and a nice homemade strawberry cake from Mom & Dad). Yesterday, we had the Community Group over after church for leftovers. I spent a couple of hours in the afternoon with Grammy while Dad went to the gym.


(Note from Dad):
One thing we do want to share is how well Lily has been sleeping. During the timeline of this entry, Lily has started to sleep through the night. After first, we felt as if we were doing something wrong when we woke up and realized she had not waken up, but she was fine with it. So, for about two weeks, she was going down between 10-11 pm and sleeping until 6-7:30 am. And this weekend, we started to also drop the late night feeding, so last night, she went down after a bath, around 9:30 pm, and she did not wake up until 8:30 am. We know that it may not always continue this way, or child #2 may not be the same, but we will certainly take it as we are able to. It is funny that on Sunday, we were all ready to go to church around 8:10 (church starts at 9 and we are 10 minutes away), and Katy and I were telling ourselves that this is quite unusual (if we weren't on a diet, it would have been a perfect day for a pre-church stop at Shipley's Donuts). So, we got there early (for like the third straight week), and we realized that us getting to church on time has coincided with Lily sleeping through the night. The lesson here: When Lily sleeps well, Mom & Dad sleep well (although Dad has been sleeping fine all along, hahaha.....).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The new picture is the cutest yet! What a busy month our Lily Belle has had! Thank you for sharing every wonderful detail. We love you all.