Lily had a great time with Dad around for the past two weeks. I was back at work today and while it was hard to go back, I do feel a whole lot more comfortable with this little one and I think she is getting to be a bit further along with developing into a routine. I am grateful for this time because I developed a greater understanding of what her hour-to-hour activities are, so I can appreciate it better when I talk to Katy at work and she tells me what is going on. I even got to begin to train Lily in the Star Wars story by reading to her (check out her attention to the photo). Just last Friday afternoon, Lily would not fall asleep for her nap. I stayed in the room with her to let her know I was around. She finally seemed to settle into dreamland, and it had made me tired, so I just pulled a pillow out and laid down on the floor in her room. It took me a bit to fall asleep, but of course, right as I drifted off, Lily awoke herself and would not be comforted, so no nap for Dad.
A week ago Saturday, we had another shower for Lily from my work friends. It was such an incredible gesture that was totally unnecessary, but we enjoyed it so much. I have really developed some great relationships over the years with the people I work with, and just like I was so glad to have gotten to share some of my other life events with them (e.g. about 10-15 were at our wedding), I was glad to share this with them. We were quite embarassed, though, when we were at home around 1:15 or so, thinking the event was at 2:00, and we get a call asking where we are at. We hadn't taken the time to read the updated announcement that the time was moved up to 12:30. After all the work they had put in, and we are late to our own event. Everyone, of course, was so cool about it, and didn't make us feel bad at all, but we just hated to have done that with all the time & energy they put into it. Lily didn't get much past the front door before she started to get passed around. When it came time for gifts, it was also time for Lily to eat. Lily's grandmothers were both there and were thinking one of them would be feeding her, but when Mrs. Amber was asked if she wanted to give Lily her bottle, I think it made her more than a little excited. Everyone was so sweet & generous with the gifts (Lily even got this Star Wars Princess and we even got some things from people who couldn't even make it, so again, we are just overwhelmed at all the love & support we are getting as we go through this new phase of life. So much easier to do it this way.
Last Sunday & Monday we had a couple of days at home, just enjoying our time together. On Tuesday & Wednesday, Lily got to take her first road trip with Grandma & Grandpa Brockman to College Station. My Aunt Shanna is there as well as Grandaddy, so Lily got another time to complete a fourth generation. She did so good on the road. She basically slept the whole time, waking up just outside of Bastrop and making it all the way to Caldwell before she had to be tended to. In Caldwell, she got her first stop at the Golden Arches (McDonalds), though she didn't get to play on the playland yet. We got to College Station and spent some time with Grandaddy. He just loved seeing her, and Virginia as well. Later that afternoon, we headed over to the Cashion's to see Joy (former EY colleague) and her boys (Cole & Connor). We were quite impressed with Cole's knowledge of the Force, as he was able to rightly remind us that when his Darth Vader action figure's helmet is on, he is Darth Vader, and when it is off, he is Anakin. Hopefully, when Lily is older and becomes a Padawan learner, she can be equally trained in the ways of the Force, like her father before her. (FYI-check out this video from YouTube of a little girl telling the Star Wars story; this will be Lily one day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAn_7ION3w Those boys are very active but very well behaved. They seem to enjoy each other and definitely keep Joy's hands full. We had dinner that night at Aunt Shanna's, and Lily got more play time. We were a bit worried at her activity in the evening, and she seemed a bit active. This was her first night away from home, so having to sleep in a Pack&Play, we didn't know how she'd handle it. But, while it took some time to settle her down, she did fall asleep and slept from about 9 pm until 8:30 am, with two quick feedings mixed in there. Cannot complain at all about her. Lily got to play her first hand of 42, and then after some time to get ready, we made a quick stop so the class of 2030 graduate could see her future alma mater. We headed home from there; Lily is such a great traveller. On the way home, she basically slept the whole way, waking up on her own just before we stopped to feed her.

No comments:
Post a Comment