"Tigre, Blue Steele; they are all the same look. Doesn't anyone else see this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."
This was said by one of the greatest characters in the rich history of film, Mugatu, in the movie "Zoolander". He was talking about Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller) and all of his modeling looks and how they all looked the same.
The reason I bring that up is that we are starting to feel that way a bit about Lily's crying. Definitely not the part about being crazy but just that we are struggling to identify what type of cry means what. You read in the baby books that the baby cries one way for being hungry, another for wet diaper, another for sleepy, another for just being cranky, and then a more severe cry when something is truly wrong. Well, she is certainly starting to have more a time each day where she is a bit fussy, but they are all sounding the same thing to us. Of course, these fussy times never seem to match up when it is convenient for Katy and I. The other night, I had delayed in getting some work done that I needed to do over the weekend, so I started to work on it on Sunday night, but Lily wasn't allowing me to focus on that; I needed to be focusing in on her, she said. So, she won out, and we spent some time together and I had a late night on Sunday, into early morning Monday getting ready for my work week. But, it is all good because even these fussy times are with our little angel, so while I'd obviously prefer to be with her when she is not fussy, we still love her all the same.
We had a good weekend together. Grammy was happy to spend the time with Lily while we went to the church for a date night that Katy's Mentoring Moms bible study put together. It was nice to get away, we had some fun there (except for when we stunk it up playing the newlywed game). But, after being away for about 90 minutes or so, we starting to wonder how Lily was doing at home. I called home to check, and then we were back by 9:30 or so (we had left around 6:45). Grammy was just very happy to help out, even though Lily had spent a lot of time crying while we were gone. But, she has a bit of a different atttitude than we sometimes do, saying that "I loved every minute of it; Lily could have cried for three hours, and I would have loved it all the same." (Note - we make it sound like Lily cries and is fussy all the time and that is not the case; she is fabulous and perfectly sweet for about 20 hours a day; it is just irnoic--don't you think--that the other four hours where she is less than sweet just happen to be at times that are less than convenient for us.
Saturday, I got to sleep in a bit, after taking one of the nighttime feedings. We had some time to lazy around the house in the morning. Katy got a well deserved massage and some fun girl times with Robi. Some of our old friends from our Oak Hills single group days--Lisa Barnes and Jennifer Green--came by to see our princess. Jennifer likes to take credit for encouraging Katy and I to have started to date. So, although she didn't say anything, I can imagine that she was inwardly taking credit for Lily as well. To date, Lisa gets the award for the visitor who has traveled the farthest to see Lily, being in town for a weekend away from Minnesota. After they left, Jenny Hoffman and Erin Jackson--friends from Journey Fellowship--came over to see Lily in the afternoon (Jenny brought some excellent lasagna). We spent some time on Saturday night watching some episodes of "Arrested Development" and then we all went to bed early. Lily was up early (before 6 am) on Sunday and got some good time with me. Katy's good friends, Lisa McQueen and Perrin Wall, came to visit from Austin. Later on Sunday, my mom & dad came over to see her (they were having Lily withdrawals after three or four days without seeing her).
Monday was a rough day for me at work as I had a late night and didn't get home to see the little one until almost midnight. Lily and Katy got a good day together; Katy left her with Grammy and ran some errands. Aunt Rachel came by in the evening and got to hold Lily. When I finally did get home, it was quite funny as Lily was completely alert (while her mama was understandably completely passed out in bed). I relieved Grammy, fed Lily her bottle and we all were in bed relatively peacefully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the Whitesnake tip, whoever helped with that, I am at peace now ; )
You guys are the best.
Don't forget to tell Lily we have a boyfriend for her, she'll be older a bit and the boss, I'm sure she'll like that!
Syl
Lily is obviously no ordinary baby, and that is why her crying does not fit the usual classifications. She is simply reminding you that she is indeed The Princess. You have figured her out in record time Son! Putting your work aside and giving your full attention to your sweet girl was all she needed. You are an awesome dad and Katy is a wonderful mother. We are so proud of you both.
Post a Comment