Friday, June 6, 2008

Life is Good (with Dad around)

Well, I've gotten to have some time at home with Dad and it has been real nice. Dad started his two weeks of paternity leave this week, and it has been nice to have him around. I think it is a 3-way tie between myself, Mom, and Dad on who is happiest that he is here.






Last week (Memorial Day week), I didn't have a whole lot going on. Dad got to be here with me for a long 4-day weekend. The weekend was not very comfortable as on Friday the 23rd, the air conditioning in the house started to not work too well. We had some men come over to look at it and there goes my first semester of college. We luckily didn't have to replace the whole thing but it was going to be somewhat substantial. All the while, we had already committed to getting a new tree for the front of the house (planted around the same time that I came around) and Dad was having some issues with his car. When it rains, it pours. So, last week, I was just counting down the days until Dad could be at home with me.







Last Friday night, Mom had a wedding shower to go to, so by the ime Dad got home, I was here hanging out with Granddad Bo. And that was the first time that he got to see me in my fussy mood. Starting last week, I started to get real cranky in the late afternoon. I think it has coincided with the increased heat outside and the decreased effectiveness of our air conditioner. Mom and Dad have got to get out and get me some thicker shades so it can block the sun a bit more from my room. It gets a lot of late afternoon heat & light. But, I was a little fussy, and then we had the magical Wubbanub that helped to soothe me while I sat in my swing. Mom had been trying some new napping/sleeping techniques on me beginning last week, but Dad was trying to use them but he didn't fully know what they were. So, after Granddad left and before Mom got home (around 9 pm), Dad was up there, sitting in my room with me, it was completely dark, and he was talking to me. He didn't want to have the lights on so he couldn't read to me, so he was up there telling me the story of 'Lord of the Rings' and how Frodo got sent on his adventure; he got so far as "Is it secret? Is it safe?" before Mom came home and told him that he wasn't really following this new technique as he should (It helps to have someone in the room while I'm trying to fall asleep but I don't need anyone talking). But, we did fine for the evening so Mom could have an evening out with Grandma Patty and her friends.







Saturday was a big day for me as I headed up to the lake for Grandma's surprise shower. Her friends wanted to give her some gifts so that when I go over to her house, I have some things that I need. So, I get to meet a lot of her friends, many of whom have known my Dad ever since he was in high school. I don't think Grandma knew about the day at all because we heard her be so surprised when she walked in and saw all the gifts, and then even more surprised when I came out of the front room with Mom & Dad. But, it was a fun fun day. I got another day with Granddad. But, I did not get much time to rest, either on my own or with Mom & Dad or my grandparents. Those ladies just passed me around. I slept from pretty much 12:30 until about 3:30 or so, all the way not knowing that I was causing some strife there as the ladies were fighting over who got to hold me. It seemed like for the longest time that Grandma's friend Elizabeth was not going to give me up, but she did, and later Mrs. Lenise and Mrs. Beth helped to feed me my bottle. But, it was a super fun day, and I can't wait to go back to the lake sometime again and actually be able to get into the water. If I'm like my Mom, I'm going to love the water.



















On Sunday, we had a lazy day around the house as Mom was not feeling well. Monday started my time at home with Dad and we didn't do too much as we had some things to do around the house. Dad started to get a bit better understanding of my napping techniques. A few times in the last half of May, Mom would call Dad at work when it was my naptime and I was not cooperating. I showed him a couple of times on Sunday & Monday about why a phone call was necessary. Sometimes when I get out of my comfort zone while I am in that crib, I just like to let everyone know that I am not happy. Dad was able to completely understand why those times are challenging for me.







Tuesday was a big day for us as we got our air conditioning fixed in the house. I just slept through the early part of the day while they were working (Norman passed the day doing what he does when workers are in the house, hiding under a bed, since he is such a chicken). But, then as the day went around and it got hotter & hotter in the house (with no A/C on), Mom had enough and took me to Bless Your Heart. Of course, being there wasn't too relaxing for me because I got passed around there as well. But, I do love that store and I can't wait until I get a chance to shop there, but Mom said that I will have to do some work there, and I won't get my stuff for nothing. Can you ask my mom if she is familiar with the child labor laws in this country? But, they did get it fixed and it does feel better here now - although I won't be going to college until the second semester because we have to pay for it. After the workers left, Grammy came over and we hung out for the evening while Mom & Dad went to see 'Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.' They said that it is a bit violent & scary so it might be 7-8 years before I get to go see it (but I'm sure my Dad might be a bit flexible with that rule).






On Wednesday, we had a small little outing as they took me to the doctor for a weight check.......11 pounds & 6 ounces. That is two pounds in the last three weeks. I guess I'm getting to be pretty good with this feeding thing. It is a good thing that I am gaining because Mom & Dad started a diet and they are trying to not gain weight. Mom told me that they like doing the diet for the beneficial outcomes of it (i.e. losing weight), but that the actual experience of the diet is not fine at all (i.e. having to watch what we eat), and Mom & Dad got real cranky with each other the last time they did a diet. So, we'll see how this goes. Dad and I were wearing matching 'Life is Good' shirts today, and fortunately, I lasted in my shirt only long enough for a photo to be taken before I spit up all over it. Wednesday night, we headed to Community Group, but I was a bit fidgety through it, so Dad had to take me out and try to soothe me. I had a big advancement in my sleeping on Wednesday night. They put me down for good around 11 pm. They have been not setting an alarm at night and I certainly don't mind letting them know when it is time for me to get up and eat. Generally, it is around 4-5 hours. Well, this time, I lasted all the way until 6 am, so I got (and so did mom & dad) 7 straight hours of sleep!!!!! I am certainly trying to make things easy on them, so I'll have to find a way to get back at them at some later time of my choosing.







Yesterday, we had a lazy morning. Then, we headed up to Austin for my first girls day out (but Dad was there as well). We went to Aunt Emily's house, and I got to hang out with her varmits and then we headed out for Mom & Emily to get pedicures at Embellish (Lisa McQueen's store). I was certainly a hit when I got there, but I pretty much slept through the day. Afterwards, I got my first real dinner out, as we went to eat at Chuy's. Then, Mom did a little shopping for me at Janie & Jack's. As if I need this, but I did get another outfit.















We headed back to Emily's house for me to eat. I got to meet Norman's one-time lover, Phoebe; Mom and Emily had gotten Norman and Phoebe around the same time during college when they were rooming together. Mom said that Phoebe pushed Norman off a bed and broke his hip and that is why their friendship ended. But, whatever the case, Phoebe gave me the same disgruntled look that Norman gives me and was more bothered by me than happy to see me. Anyway, it was then time to head back home as Mom and I slept most of the way back to San Antonio, getting in around 11:30. I fed around 12:15 and then off to bed.







Finally, I got a chance to have a somewhat normal day. We didn't leave the house at all today. Mom & Dad were especially tired, so I had slept from around 1 am until 6 am; Dad got up to feed me, and then we all slept again until around 8:45 (Dad slept in a bit after that). He then did some lawn work and then I hung out with Mom. Tonight, Jeff, Robi, and Rix came over for dinner. I was a bit social with everyone at first but then I retired to my bed and slept pretty soundly. I am fussing a little bit, but I am a bit tired. It is exciting that I got to do a lot with Dad over this past week, and we have a whole additional week before he heads back to the work. This is so great!



2 comments:

Sylvia and Daniel said...

SO fun!!! That was a lot of catching up to do, but so fun to read. I am so happy Buck that you are home with Katy and I KNOW she s SOOOO happy! Kisses for the girls!

Syl

Nancy in Wonderland said...

How fun! It's awesome that you can take some time to spend with your lovely ladies. Enjoy!!