Saturday, April 26, 2008

Welcome Lily!

What an exciting week this has been. My mama went into the hospital on Monday at 6 am for them to induce me for delivery. The last few weeks of the pregnancy were a bit hard on mom. I was scheduled to come on April 26, but throughout the pregnancy my mom had some high blood pressure. On March 28, at her appointment, the doctor sent to the hospital for some tests due to that high blood pressure and then put her on bed rest. We kept thinking I would come even earlier than when I did. They were ready for me the following Friday, April 4. Then, the doctor said things were looking good and it would look like I'd come on April 14 (my uncle Jay's birthday). Then, mama improved a bit, so they still wanted to deliver me early, but they could wait until April 21. So, mom & dad headed into the hospital on Monday for delivery.





Mom got her medicine for induction around 11 am but nothing much was happening throughout the day. Mom & Dad told me that my family was there with them throughout the whole experience, both sets of grandparents, Aunt Rachel, Aunt Emily. And lots of phone calls and prayers and thoughts from others who were not there at the hospital. They spent time watching their favorite movies (you'll find mom & dad love to watch movies): 13 Going on 30, Legally Blonde, Mansfield Park, Anchorman, Napoleon Dynamite.




Mom was starting to get a bit frustrated, and my delivery overlapped the nurses' shift and the night shift came on. Around 7 pm, Dr. Simpson (mom's doctor) came in and broke the water and then things started to happen real quick. At 7 pm, mom was at 3 cm. I started to really give mom a hard time around 9 pm, and they gave her a really big shot at 10:15 pm. She started to feel a whole lot more comfortable by 11 pm and mom & dad rested for an hour (mama told me that dad fell asleep but mama couldn't so eventually that meant dad couldn't sleep either). She was only 4-5 cm at 11 pm, but by 12:30, she was at 8-9 cm, and it appeared I would be there soon.






The nurse checked again around 1 am, and mama was almost ready. They worked a little bit on her and by 1:45, it was time for me to come. Dr. Simpson was called and was there by 2:20 and I came out after just 5 pushes at 2:34 am. Right before I came out, dad told me that he could look down and see one of my little black hairs sticking out, so he got a little sneak peak. I came it just perfect, at 8 pounds & 3 ounces. I let out a massive cry just to let everyone know that I was here and then they let my mama hold me for a moment. Then, the nurses took me over to the other side of the room, and they got me ready to breathe and live on my own. They gave me some test (APGAR) and I got a 8-9 score, so Dad was impressed that I was already scoring well. It was so nice to be in there with mama so it did take some adjusting to life on the outside world. Dad went out and told everyone that I was there and perfect and then they finished cleaning me and mama up.




Around 3 am, I got to meet the rest of my family for the first time. Grandma Dranselka was the first to hold me, and she seemed to really love me. Then, it was Grandma Patty, Grandpa Brockman, and Grandad Dranselka (although I think he was scared he was going to hurt me, but he doesn't know that I am pretty resilent). Then, Aunt Fancy Rachel took me and I got a picture as the newest addition to the Dranselka women. I was also glad my mom's best friend from college, Aunt Emily, was there to greet me.




Everyone went home after that, and then I had my first meal with mama. Then, they sent me off to the nursery. Dad got to come for a little bit, and they put me under the heat lamp to let my temperature warm up. They measured me (20 1/4 inches) with some really long legs (I get that from dad). I got both my mom and dad's long fingers & toes. They checked me out some, and then I had to get my first bath, and I sure did not like that at all. Then, dad left and they left me in the nursery so mom & dad could get another hour nap in before I came back to them.








No comments: